WINNIPEG – Winnipeg Police have confirmed that an arrest warrant has been issued for Chris Saccoccia, otherwise known as Chris Sky.
Police said in an email to CTV News that the warrant was under the Provincial Offenses Act.
Sky confirmed the news on his Telegram account, saying he was avoiding Winnipeg, where he was due to show up for an anti-restriction rally on Friday, and was instead in Saskatoon for another rally.
Police also said one person was arrested for repeated violations of public health orders.
“There are 5 outstanding warrants to be executed in this regard,” police said in an email.
Under current Manitoba public health orders, all gatherings with people outside your home are not permitted.
Winnipeg Mayor Brian Bowman at a press conference on Friday urged Winnipeggers not to attend a planned rally in The Forks on Friday night, or any other rally to break public health orders.
“Go home, it’s that easy,” he says. “Do not go to events like this that aim to violate the province’s public health orders. There are consequences. Currently, people can be fined $ 1,296 for violating public health orders and can also be fined $ 298 for not wearing a mask in public.
Bowman said he was disappointed the province did not impose stiffer fines for people who violate public health orders. Bowman has called on the province to double the fines and also called for a $ 100,000 fine for those who organize events to violate public health orders.
He added that attending these events not only puts your health at risk, but also shows “a huge disrespect to Winnipeggers and Manitobans who play by the rules.”
“They are tired and exhausted from having to live in this reality we are living in right now,” Bowman said. “When they see these events happening, it definitely shakes their sensitivity and it frustrates them.”
In an email to CTV News, the province said it could not confirm whether an injunction had been filed for anti-mask or anti-restriction rallies.
The province also wouldn’t say if there are any law enforcement plans for the rally at The Forks.
Saccoccia has been a prominent anti-masker participating in rallies across the country.
He was recently charged with three counts of death threats, one count of assaulting a peace officer with a weapon and one count of dangerous operating a conveyance in Toronto. after allegedly threatening to kill Ontario Premier Doug Ford along with all of Canada’s other premiers. , as well as driving a vehicle on a policeman who tried to stop him.
Saccoccia was released on bail and agreed to stay in Markham, Ontario. The charges have not been tested in court.
With files from Charles Lefebvre and Chris Herhalt of CTV.