Verizon loses 69,000 paid channels and adds 55,000 broadband subscribers in the fourth quarter
Verizon lost 69,000 net pay-TV subscribers to its consumer video service FiOS in the fourth quarter, compared with a loss of 68,000 in the third quarter and 72,000 a year ago, the telecommunications giant said Tuesday. The Hollywood Reporter Georg Szalai.
In the past, the company has often cited “the continued shift from traditional linear video to over-the-top offerings” as a key factor in declining video subscribers.
Verizon, led by Chairman and CEO Hans Vestberg, gained 55,000 high-speed Internet subscribers, up from 92,000 a year ago. For all of 2021, Verizon reported 360,000 net broadband user additions, “the best annual performance since 2014.”[Read More]
2022 Australian Day Honours: Jane, Maggie, Delta, Dylan.
Interpreter Delta Goodremculinary dean Maggie BeerSeven News presenter Jane Doyle and Australian of the Year Dylan Alcott are among those recognized in Australian Day Honours, reports tv tonight.
The interpreter is also honored Deborra Lee Furnesswriter Doug Edwardsand former president of Prime Media John Hartigan.
Here are the television and associated names in this year’s list.[Read More]
The BBC will be taken to court to stop it reporting a spy story
The government will take the BBC to court in March in an attempt to stop it publishing or broadcasting a proposed report, reports The Guardian’s Haroun Siddique.
Oliver Sanders QCrepresenting the Attorney General Suella Bravermantold the High Court on Wednesday that the case involved issues of national security and breach of trust.
The telegraph reported on Friday that the BBC planned to reveal the identity of a spy working overseas, prompting comparisons to the Spycatcher saga.
Given the sensitivity of the ongoing case, Sanders requested that Wednesday’s hearing be held behind closed doors, telling the court: “In our submissions, the difficulty of proceeding in open court…is that it is almost impossible to discuss the matter, in terms of what the matter is about.[Read More]
Adam Boulton: Sky News faces ‘existential’ crisis as TV habits change
Adam Boulton said Sky News faced ‘existential’ questions about its future as it grappled with changing audience habits and the long-term funding needed to maintain an intensive round-the-clock operation, reports The Guardian’s Jim Waterson.
“I know there are Sky executives who think there will only be one news channel in the UK in 10 years and it probably won’t be Sky,” said the former editor of Sky News at the Guardian. . “Any business is going to ask, ‘What’s the point of Sky News? Is everything he offers made by others anyway, so might as well not care? Sky News colleagues think about it all the time. It is existential.
When Rupert Murdoch sold the wider Sky business to US media conglomerate Comcast in 2018, the new owners have promised to fund the prestigious but loss-making news service for a decade. Boulton, who left the channel last month after serving as editor, said Comcast had honored the deal, but the channel’s long-term future was unclear: “People are wondering what what’s going to happen when the funding secured under the buyout deal expires….the problem with the buyout arrangement was that it put Sky News into aspic with the same funding and the same management.[Read More]
Neil Young calls on Spotify to remove his music over Joe Rogan vaccine misinformation
Neil Young asked for his music to be removed from Spotify due to vaccine misinformation spread by the podcaster Joe Rogan on the streaming service, saying, “They can have Rogan or Young. Not both,” reports The Guardian’s Sian Cain.
Learn more: Podcast Week: Abbie Chatfield on LiSTNR & Josh Szeps on Joe Rogan
In an open letter to his manager and record company that was posted on his website and later removed, Young wrote, “I am doing this because Spotify is spreading false information about vaccines – potentially causing the death of those who believe misinformation is being spread by them. Please act immediately today and keep me informed of the timing.
Young clarified that his decision was motivated by The Joe Rogan Experience, which is currently Spotify’s most popular podcast and one of the largest in the world. Rogan signed a $100 million deal in 2020 giving Spotify exclusive rights to the show.[Read More]
Ray Hadley airs bizarre claims about NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet
Radio Veteran Ray Hadley released startling claims regarding unconfirmed comments allegedly made by Premier Dominique Perrotet at a Christmas party, reports news.com.au
Speaking on 2GB on Tuesday morning, Hadley claimed he was told by government insiders that Perrottet made comments at a Christmas party about not ‘giving in’ to NSW Health on reimposing restrictions .
However, The Daily Telegraph said high-level government sources have rebuffed that claim.
It comes as Perrottet denied the One Nation leader’s allegations Marc Latham this treasurer Matt Kean disclosed information to the media about its response to the Covid-19 pandemic.[Read More]
Kyle Sandilands Tears Machine Gun Kelly About Redone Interview With Kendall Jenner
Radio host Kyle Sandilands slammed Machine Gun Kelly on air, calling the musician an “idiot” because of comments he once made about the model Kendall Jennerreports News Corp‘s Mibenge Nsenduluka.
Last week, an interview from 2014 surfaced in which the American artist, born Baker Colsonrevealed his hopes of meeting his “celebrity crush” Jenner, despite being 17 at the time and he was 23.
The legal age of consent in Los Angeles, where Jenner lives, is 18 and Sandilands called Kelly a “dumba**” for gushing over Jenner at the time.[Read More]
The Project: Carrie Bickmore and Peter van Onselen in heated debate over Grace Tame
Carrie Bickmore defended Grace Taming after sexual assault survivor was slammed for frosty meeting with PM, News Corp’s reports Alex Blair.
Tame sparked national media coverage after cameras captured his icy exchange with Scott Morrison before a morning tea for the Australia of the Year 2022 finalists.
Some Tory MPs called the interaction ‘childish’, while the journalist Pierre van Onselen described her as “derogatory and rude” in an article for The Australian.
political journalist Amy Remeikis tore into van Onselen for his column in Tuesday’s edition of The projectdescribing his opinion as “devastating” and sparking heated debate in the panel.
“Why do you feel the need to tell Grace how she should have behaved?” But secondly, why should she stand there, smile and pretend everything is fine when there is absolute doom on the cards here? » Carrie Bickmore Van Onselen asked.[Read More]
Lisa Wilkinson’s swipe at Peter van Onselen amid Grace Tame debate suggests tension over The Project
Projects Lisa Wilkinson took a subtle dig at her colleague Pierre van Onselen for his brutal attempt to kill a survivor of sexual assault Grace Tamingreports News Corp’s Bella Fowler.
Write an article for The AustralianPVO called Tame’s frosty reception “derogatory, rude and childish”, with Wilkinson retaliating hours later by applauding Tame for “making noise”.
While it’s not uncommon to see the hosts of the nightly news panel disagree on various issues, it comes amid swirling industry rumors about historical tensions between the two.
Switch to Instagram after The project aired a heated debate between Carrie Bickmore and PVO over Tame’s decision to make headlines, Wilkinson — a staunch Tame supporter — waded into the discussion herself.[Read More]
Seven to reboot This Is Your Life
It’s your life returns to Seven later this year as part of a series of special events celebrating famous Australians, reports tv tonight.
The classic television format will feature celebrities, directors, sports stars, entertainers and feature never-before-seen reunions, footage and performances. It will highlight memories of family, friends and colleagues, including international names.
Originally created on Seven in 1975 with Mike Willseeit worked for six years with hosts Digby Wolfe and Roger Cliffson. Nine also screened it variously from 1995 to 2008 with Mike Munrobefore a brief run in 2011 with Eddie McGuire.
Network Programming Director of Seven, Angus Rossnoted: “It’s your life has been an iconic and incredibly successful show for many years. The time seems right for him to return. We look forward to bringing the format into 2022, engaging both new viewers and the generations of Australians who fondly remember the show and will welcome its return.[Read More]
Disney+ will launch in 42 countries this summer
Disney+ will launch in 42 countries and 11 territories this summer, the streamer announced on Wednesday, reports The Hollywood Reporter Abid Rahman.
Among the major new markets, the service will be launched in South Africa, Turkey, Poland and the United Arab Emirates.
The full list of new countries where Disney+ will launch this summer includes: Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Egypt, Estonia, Greece, Hungary, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kosovo, Kuwait , Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, Morocco, North Macedonia, Oman, Palestine, Poland, Qatar, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom United Arab Emirates, Vatican City and Yemen.[Read More]