EFL highlights and recap: Bournemouth and Fulham win | Soccer News

Bournemouth staged a dramatic comeback to beat Stoke 2-1 and stay in the automatic Sky Bet Championship promotion places.

Stoke led Tommy Smith after 20 minutes but had Morgan Fox sent off before the break for shooting down Philip Billing.

The Cherries failed to find a way through their 10 visitors until Dominic Solanke equalized seven minutes from time.

Jamal Lowe offered a last-minute winner for Bournemouth to stay two points clear of third-placed Huddersfield.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Highlights from the Sky Bet Championship game between Bournemouth and Stoke City.

The Terriers extended their league unbeaten run to 15 games with a 2-0 win at Birmingham.

Levi Colwill, on his 19th birthday, and Lewis O’Brien scored the goals for Huddersfield in the first half.

Leaders Fulham stay ahead with a nine-point lead after their 1-0 win at Cardiff.

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored four minutes before the break – his 34th goal of the league campaign – from a cross from former Bluebird Harry Wilson.

Blackburn beat QPR 1-0 to move above their promotion rivals into fourth.

Reda Khadra netted the winner with a free-kick in the 77th minute, Rovers’ first league goal in more than nine hours.

The victory was Blackburn’s first in six games and Tony Mowbray’s side are four points clear of automatic promotion places.

Luton advance to the final play-off position after beating relegation-threatened Derby 1-0.

Danny Hylton scored the winner for the Hatters midway through the second half.

Sheffield United drop to seventh after losing 1-0 at Millwall.

Jake Cooper’s second-half header gave the Lions a fourth straight win.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Highlights from the Sky Bet Championship game between Nottingham Forest and Bristol City.

Nottingham Forest are also within striking distance of the play-off places after beating Bristol City 2-0.

Brennan Johnson and James Garner were on target either side of the break as in-form Forest picked up seven wins from nine home games.

Barnsley shocked the play-offs in pursuit of Middlesbrough with a 3-1 win at Oakwell.

Mads Andersen opened the scoring and loan signing Amine Bassi netted twice. Boro claimed consolation through Andraz Sporar’s penalty.

Blackpool fought back to beat Reading 4-1 as Paul Ince suffered his first loss in charge of the Royals.

Lucas Joao put Reading ahead after 17 minutes but Marvin Ekpiteta quickly equalized.

Second-half goals from Gary Madine, Shayne Lavery and Josh Bowler capped the Tangerines’ first victory in five games.

Coventry and Preston drew 1-1, with most of the action reserved for a dramatic final.

Preston defender Liam Lindsay was sent off with six minutes remaining and he was quickly followed down the tunnel by Coventry’s Fankaty Dabo.

Daniel Johnson put Preston ahead from the penalty spot in the final minute but Fabio Tavares equalized eight minutes into stoppage time for Sky Blues, just moments after being substituted.

Grant McCann’s second stint as Peterborough manager began with a 3-0 home defeat to former club Hull.

Tyler Smith opened the scoring and Keane Lewis-Potter scored twice in the second half for a Tigers side that only parted ways with McCann last month.

Sky Bet Ligue 1

Rotherham cemented their grip on top spot in Sky Bet League One by beating Plymouth 1-0 away from home to move nine points clear at the top.

The game’s defining moment came when top scorer Michael Smith netted his 18th goal of the season, slotting in the ball in the 63rd minute.

Wigan had started the day in second place but slipped to third as they lost 3-0 at home to Sunderland, who ended a poor run to cement their position in the play-offs and give boss Alex Neil his first Victoire.

The Black Cats led by just a minute as Alex Pritchard’s free kick was headed in by Bailey Wright.

Ross Stewart then doubled the lead from the penalty spot after being stumbled by Curtis Tilt, and the striker was on target again with four minutes left after a handball from Tendayi Darikwa.

The Wigan loss saw MK Dons move into second place, level on points with the Latics having played three more games, thanks to a 2-0 victory over Bolton.

Mo Eisa and Scott Twine scored either side of the half for the Dons’ third straight victory.

Oxford are within four points of the automatic promotion places after Cameron Brannagan’s late brace proved decisive in a 4-2 win over Cambridge.

The visitors led twice in the game as Sam Smith took his season tally to 17 with a brace, the first after six minutes and the second 11 minutes into the second half after Matty Taylor had equalized for Oxford.

But Brannagan’s first brought Oxford level with just over half an hour to play, Mark Sykes then put them ahead and Brannagan made sure in the last minute of the 90.

Sheffield Wednesday climbed above Plymouth and into the bottom of the play-off places with a 2-0 win over Charlton.

George Byers headed the Owls in front after just five minutes and Callum Paterson turned Marvin Johnson’s cross to double the hosts’ lead just before half-time.

However, Wycombe’s promotion charge remains stalled as they went seven games without a win, losing two leads on their way to a 3-2 defeat at Accrington.

Sam Vokes put the Chairboys ahead, only for Korede Adedoyin to equalize seven minutes later. Sullay Kaikai’s goal was canceled out by Ross Sykes early in the second half, before Harry Pell netted the winner for Stanley.

Dominic Gape hit the post for Wycombe late as the hosts finished with 10 men as Mitch Clark saw red deep in stoppage time for a late challenge on Gape.

Aiden O’Brien’s stoppage-time equalizer robbed Fleetwood of a win that could have eased their relegation worries as Portsmouth slipped from 3-0 to 3-3.

That keeps Fleetwood level on points with AFC Wimbledon, who blew a two-goal lead in the 2-2 home draw against Doncaster to stay two points above the drop zone.

Morecambe, who sit in 21st place, were denied victory late on as Wes Burns saved a point for Ipswich in a 1-1 draw.

Gillingham brought their survival push to life with a 2-0 win over fellow wrestlers Lincoln with goals from Vadaine Oliver and Ben Thompson.

Rock bottom Crewe ended their seven-game losing streak with a 2-1 victory at Cheltenham as Chris Porter netted a last-minute goal – although they remain eight points from safety.

Goals from Tom Bloxham and Matthew Pennington gave Shrewsbury their first win in 10 games as they won 2-0 at Burton.

Sky Bet League Two

Mark Hughes suffered defeat in his first game in charge of Bradford as Mansfield recorded a 2-0 away win.

The former Wales and Manchester City boss had been out of management since leaving Southampton three years ago before his surprise appointment on Thursday.

But goals in each half from Rhys Oates and Matty Longstaff condemned the Bantams to a fourth straight League Two defeat.

Leaders Forest Green suffered a second straight defeat as they were beaten 2-1 at Crawley.

Rovers, beaten at home by Walsall last weekend, found themselves trailing at the break as Ashley Nadesan and Jordan Tunnicliffe put Crawley in charge.

Although defender Dominic Bernard pulled a goal back 10 minutes from time, there was no late drama.

Rob Edwards’ men, however, remain 10 points clear after promotion rivals Northampton and Tranmere also both lost.

The Cobblers lost 1-0 at Rochdale, where Tahvon Campbell’s goal early in the second half proved the difference.

Tranmere were beaten 4-2 at Newport, who scored twice in the final three minutes.

Aaron Lewis’ goal early in the second half gave County the lead, which was followed by a Dom Telford penalty before the hour mark.

Rovers rallied as Josh Dacres-Cogley cut the deficit before an own goal from Newport defender Mickey Demetriou tied things at 2-2.

However, Finn Azaz struck with just three minutes left to put the Welsh side back in front before Telford wrapped things up in stoppage time.

Exeter also failed to make up much ground in the top three after being held 1-1 at Bristol Rovers.

Luca Hoole gave the hosts an early lead, with Jevani Brown equalizing midway through the first half.

Promotion hopefuls Swindon – who beat Walsall 5-0 on Tuesday night – were beaten 2-1 at home by Salford.

Harry McKirdy had put the Robins ahead early in the second half, but Liam Shephard equalized after the hour mark and Ryan Watson headed in a winner with four minutes to go.

Sutton are fifth after beating last club Scunthorpe 4-1.

Rob Milsom’s penalty was quickly followed by Will Randall’s strike on the half hour mark and Joe Kizzi added a third before halftime.

Randall got his second just after the hour mark, with a late own goal from Sutton substitute Harry Beautyman, offering little consolation for the Iron who are eight points from safety.

Carlisle won 1-0 at Leyton Orient without a manager to boost their own survival hopes with an early goal from Patrick Omar to give new boss Paul Simpson a perfect start to his second term in charge.

The O’s, who parted ways with Kenny Jackett shortly after the 2-0 loss to Bristol Rovers in midweek, had midfielder Theo Archibald sent off early in the second half for two early warnings.

Strugglers Colchester and Oldham drew 1-1, with an own goal from Latics defender Jordan Clarke canceling out Davis Keillor-Dunn’s opener for the visitors.

Elsewhere, Port Vale beat Stevenage 2-0, George Miller scored in each half as Walsall beat Hartlepool 3-1 while Barrow and Harrogate drew 0-0.

About Hannah Schaeffer

Check Also

Zander Murray: Gala Fairydean Rovers striker becomes first senior Scottish footballer to come out as gay | Soccer News

Zander Murray has become the first Scottish senior footballer to come out as gay. Murray, …