Everton ‘confident’ they have complied with FFP rules after Burnley and Leeds threaten legal action | Soccer News

Everton insist they are “confident” they have complied with Premier League financial fair play rules amid threats of legal action from Burnley and Leeds.

Leeds and Burnley wrote to the Premier League last week asking if they had breached Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules after posting losses of £371.8million over the past three years.

Exclusively in The temperature newspaper on Friday afternoon, it was reported that the two clubs have also indicated their right to make legal claims against the league and Everton.

Premier League rules allow clubs to lose a maximum of £105m over three years.

Clubs were allowed to write off losses caused by the pandemic; in their latest accounts, Everton said £170m of their losses were caused by the pandemic.

Burnley and Leeds want Everton’s finances thoroughly investigated and have called for an independent commission to decide whether Everton breached Premier League rules and whether they have a case to answer .

They demanded that the commission be set up within six weeks of the date of their letter (May 13).

If there’s been a violation, they want the rules enforced, and the maximum penalty is a point deduction.

They want this sorted out before next season’s games are released on June 16. They want a quick resolution – unlike the Premier League’s investigation into Manchester City’s alleged breaches of Financial Fair Play rules which have been going on for more than three years.

Other Premier League clubs are believed to have encouraged this action.

Picture:
Burnley and Leeds want Everton’s finances thoroughly investigated

A joint letter was emailed to Premier League chief executive Richard Masters on Friday May 13, signed by Burnley chairman Alan Pace and Leeds United chief executive Angus Kinnear.

Either Burnley or Leeds will be relegated on Sunday, while Everton avoided relegation by beating Crystal Palace on Thursday night.

An Everton spokesperson said: “We have worked closely with the Premier League to ensure we are compliant. We are confident we have complied with the rules.

“The external auditors have told us what we can and cannot claim against the pandemic. If the clubs want to take legal action, that’s their decision.”

The Premier League, Burnley and Leeds declined to comment when contacted by Sky Sports News.

About Hannah Schaeffer

Check Also

Paul Pogba filmed complaining about Man Utd’s latest contract offer | ‘They didn’t offer me anything’ | Soccer News

Paul Pogba has been filmed complaining about Manchester United contract offers in an upcoming documentary …