Mr Neil, who divides his time between France and the UK, told viewers of his show Thursday night that he would take “a few weeks” off, but be “back before the end of the summer and when you least expect it “.
In Mr Neil’s absence, his nighttime show will be covered by former Sky News reporter Colin Brazier
Mr Brazier is one of the many high profile signings made by GB News in the run-up to its launch, including former Sky Sports presenter Kirsty Gallacher, former BBC presenter Simon McCoy and former presenter by ITV Alastair Stewart.
Hancock apologizes after being pictured kissing Best Counselor
But the channel has faced technical issues since it began broadcasting from its Paddington, west London studio on June 13.
Viewers complained about lighting and sound issues, as well as a number of on-screen blunders made by the presenters.
But as he announced his temporary departure, Mr Neil optimistically defended the channel’s “rough start”.
“Before I take this break, let me say this,” said the 72-year-old. âYes, we had a bit of a rough start with the launch of GB News.
âWe are a start-up, these start-ups are always a bit rocky.
He added, âIn two short weeks, we’ve already built a loyal following that has exceeded all of our expectations.
âIt’s often bigger than other news channels and it’s growing.
âThis is the real story of GB News so far and you won’t read it often in the papers.
âSo on behalf of GB News, I say to all of our viewers, thank you. We won’t let you down and you ain’t seen nothing yet.
Mr Neil’s hiatus is unlikely to slow down GB News’ expansion plans.
The network, which already broadcasts seven days a week in the UK and Ireland – as well as around the world on digital platforms – has announced plans to launch a national radio service as early as next month.
If successful, this move would see GB News partnering with telecommunications company Arqiva.