Hamish Macdonald has confirmed he will be reunited with his “family” The Project after announcing his departure from ABC on Monday following poor grades as Q&A host.
Hamish Macdonald will join Network 10 after announcing he will be parting ways with ABC amid declining ratings and social media abuse.
Macdonald said on Wednesday he was “over the moon” to return to The Project on Friday nights and reunite with Lisa Wilkinson as co-host of The Sunday Project from early September.
The 40-year-old journalist said he was “thrilled to have the opportunity to create great local and international content with this dynamic group of producers and presenters.”
“It’s also a total joy to be back in the office with Lisa, Tommy and the people I love so much,” he said.
“Finding innovative ways to tell stories from Australia and around the world is what I love to do and I can’t wait to dive into them. “
Macdonald worked for 10 years from 2010 to 2013 and from 2017 before moving to the public broadcaster.
The CBA released a statement on Monday confirming Macdonald’s departure almost a month after he last hosted a question-and-answer episode.
Macdonald had not hosted the political talkfest since June 24 and was last seen on the ABC on July 7 when he presented a newsletter.
Q&A went from a Monday night time slot to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday and ratings also fell to a record 224,000 viewers in the five capitals on April 22 as it hosted over an 18-month span. .
Last week’s episode, hosted by Virginia Trioli, drew 354,000 viewers.
The show was hosted by a rotation of panelists in Macdonald’s absence, with the ABC confirming that will continue to be the case in the future.
The Sydney Morning Herald also reported that he decided to quit the ABC due to “scrutiny and abuse” on Twitter.
Macdonald hinted at a new gig when announcing his departure from the ABC on Monday.
He said he was “really excited to move on to a new opportunity and to work more with CBA in the future”.
“I am extremely grateful for the opportunity given to me to lead Q + A and to work alongside wonderful, talented and passionate people,” he said.
“I am really proud of what we have accomplished together in these extraordinary times.
“I would also like to thank the amazing audience at Q + A for everything they contribute to this program every week. It is, after all, their show. Their questions and stories from all over Australia are inspiring. , revealing and intelligent – and it has been a privilege to receive and read them. “
Sarah Thornton, head of Popular Factual at Network 10, said she was excited about Macdonald’s future at 10.
“We have always considered Hamish to be part of our family here at The Project, and we are delighted to welcome him home,” she said.
“Hamish is an exceptional journalist and his skills and passion as a broadcaster make him a valuable addition to our host lineup on The Project.
“Hamish will also be back on the road, where he is second to none, telling amazing stories and connecting with people in Australia and around the world.
“As the world and the media landscape change and storytelling grows in importance, Hamish’s talents have never been more important.”
Macdonald took over the hosting duties of Q + A in February 2020 after Tony Jones stepped down following the appointment of his wife Sarah Ferguson as head of the ABC News China office.
ABC News Director Gaven Morris said: “Everyone at ABC thanks Hamish for the incredible job he has done.”