TPersonality V Jessica Rowe has reinvented herself lately, showcasing goofy outfits and original videos on Instagram and hosting a podcast, The Jess Rowe Big Talk Show, which reached number 1 on Apple Podcasts after the first episode. “I’m in a sweet spot,” she said last week.
Establishing a wish list for guests, the former Today co-host chose Pauline Hanson because she found her “fascinating” and admired the “resilience and strength” of the One Nation leader.
“Pauline Hanson is someone I have had head butt with over the years, I don’t agree with her politics, but she fascinates me as a person,” Rowe said. “No matter what you think of her opinions, her resilience and strength is something she doesn’t give up.”
Adding the caveat that she disagreed with Hanson’s policy, Rowe casually tweeted that in her Hanson podcast “is about love, raising children and why she continues.”
The backlash was swift. Australian of the Year Grace Tame set the tone when she said: “Pauline doesn’t need help to be heard, but those she has both pushed and strengthened oppression need. . “
Hanson has a habit of vilifying Australians, Asians and native Muslims, and last year she was dumped by Channel Nine after calling residents of locked Melbourne social housing ‘drug addicts’ who’ can’t speak English “.
Rowe said it was not her intention to “normalize” Hanson’s views, “which we don’t talk about in the podcast,” but several hours and hundreds of comments later, she pulled the podcast and went. is excused.
Unsurprisingly, Hanson took the incident as a political opportunity and called on people to join One Nation.
“Canceling culture in this country kills debate, freedom of speech and ends conservative political representation,” Hanson said.
Rowe had supporters, including journalists Chris Uhlmann and Peter van Onselen.
The Aussie splashed the story on the front page on Friday, referring to “a seemingly innocuous podcast” and quoting Hanson at length.
In an op-ed titled “The Crowd Wins Again”, the Daily Telegraph hailed Hanson as “human.”
“Hanson didn’t add to Rowe’s stress. “Although I’m disappointed that Jess has succumbed,” she said yesterday, “I understand why she pulled the episode down.”
“The most human person in this episode was the target.”
Former Liberal Senator Cory Bernardi told his newsletter subscribers that the episode was “a glimpse into the cannibalistic nature of left-wing feminists.”
“When they have finished destroying their imaginary enemies, they create other monsters to defeat. They invent new evils with which to condemn and vilify.
Pressure is mounting on the Age to get rid of designer Michael Leunig, whose creations can sometimes be seen as so inflammatory that they cannot be published in the newspaper.
On Monday, The Age editor-in-chief Gay Alcorn spiked a Leunig cartoon that compared mandatory vaccination to the events in Tiananmen Square, and sources say he’s not the only one being dismissed. Leunig posted his cartoon of the compulsory vaccination on Instagram, but many who saw it believed it had been published in the Nine Papers. The newspaper’s top journalists believe that his work, whether or not it is published in the newspaper, brings the title into disrepute.
The 76-year-old, who has drawn for dailies since 1969, followed him with a cartoon comparing anti-lockdown protesters in Melbourne to Gandhi and Martin Luther King.
Leunig has offended large swathes of the population for years, including parents who use daycare services or immunize their children, and in recent years he has come under fire for suggesting that mothers love their phones and Instagram more than their children. .
Last month, Alcorn defended another Leunig cartoon about vaccine passports, which was published by Age, claiming it was “not an anti-vaccination cartoon”.
“People may or may not like the cartoon, but it doesn’t discourage vaccination or spread misinformation about vaccination,” Alcorn told Weekly Beast.
Leunig has been approached for comment. Alcorn declined to comment.
Fall from the sky
The launch of the widely seen right-wing GB News channel by former Sky News Australia boss Angelos Frangopoulos was a slow-motion car crash. Just three months after its debut, Frangopoulos faces accusations from founding broadcaster Andrew Neil that his creation is an amateur outfit plagued by light failures, sound issues and dysfunctional decor.
“GB News had barely a week [of rehearsal], and there have been so many issues with the technology, ”said Neil after sensational leaving the channel he started. “The CEO wanted to get on the air, even though it was run down, and then make it better.
“This stress was just enormous. It meant you couldn’t think of journalism. You kept asking yourself, “Are we going to pass the hour?” By the end of that first week, I knew I had to get out. It was really starting to affect my health. I wasn’t asleep. I would wake up at two or three in the morning.
For former Sky staff in Australia, much of the criticism resonated, as they too suffered under a management that ran a low-budget outfit where presenters put on makeup and book their own guests.
Bad publicity is a career low for Frangopoulos who spent nearly two decades at the helm of Rupert Murdoch’s Australian television business and was credited with developing a Fox News style formula and bringing the Sky After Dark line-up by Andrew Bolt, Alan Jones and Peta Credlin on our screens.
Harmer and Buck bow out
ABC Radio Sydney breakfast hosts Wendy Harmer and Robbie Buck shocked listeners by announcing Friday that they would step down in December after three years on the air.
The pair, who have the second most popular show in the Sydney market, said they decided to “go out on a high”.
“I hadn’t worked with Robbie, but the decision to put us together on brekkie turned out to be inspired,” Harmer said.
“We’ve always enjoyed each other’s company and I think that’s what made the partnership so good,” Buck said.
ABC on the back foot on the back pay
The ABC began reimbursing staff who were underpaid between July 14, 2014 and June 20, 2021 due to a buy-back program that estimated overtime, penalties, allowances and other rights.
“We are sorry for everyone affected by this error, which does not meet the expected standards of the ABC,” the broadcaster said this week as a letter was sent to affected staff. It was revealed in 2018 that the broadcaster underpaid the occasionalists to the tune of $ 25 million. The amount due in this series of underpayments is significantly lower.
Community and Public Sector Union ABC section secretary Sinddy Ealy said the underpayment was “extremely disappointing and unacceptable”.
“The evidence clearly shows that ABC’s underpayment is not just a compliance issue, it reflects a serious cultural issue within the organization, particularly in the news and television areas where we know most of the underpayments happen, ”Ealy said.