John Terry insists he contacted Anton Ferdinand about the allegation that he racially abused his fellow defender in 2011, but says his efforts were rejected.
Terry was accused of using racist language towards Ferdinand during a match between QPR and Chelsea at Loftus Road in October 2011, for which he received a four-game ban and a Â£ 220,000 fine from the Football Association ( FA).
However, the former Chelsea and England captain was cleared by the court after being charged with the incident and has still denied abusing Ferdinand.
Ferdinand participated in a BBC last year’s documentary called Football, racism and me which recalled his clash with Terry, in which it was said the current Aston Villa assistant head coach refused to speak to him or be on the show.
However, Terry has now disputed this claim and, in an interview with Time, says he contacted Anton Ferdinand and his brother Rio, who called his former international teammate a “dumb” in his 2014 autobiography.
âIt’s disappointing to read and hear that I have never contacted,â said Terry. “I tried calling Rio and Anton many times, literally the same night [as the game], the next day and this week after the incident.
“Then about three, four years ago, I see Rio on the beach in Dubai, so I walked up to him and said, ‘You have five minutes? I’d like to talk to you.’ He said to me. : ‘I don’t want to talk to you, JT.’
âI was ready to tackle the problem. I tried to phone Anton, Rio and his agent [Jamie Moralee]. And in preparing for the program, my legal team had contact with the producers for the purpose of communicating, but they were very evasive with the content and what they were trying to achieve.
“It was a lot more important than it should have been for me. We could have fixed it. I was very keen to do it.”
Terry was stripped of the England captaincy for the second time by the FA after being indicted by the Crown Prosecution Service – a move which led to the resignation of manager Fabio Capello.
While he was cleared in court, Terry then retired from his international duties after the FA opened his case against him, although he continued to play for Chelsea and then Villa until the end of his term. career in 2018.
Asked directly if he was racist during the interview, Terry replied, “No I am not – racism is unacceptable” and appeared to suggest that his portrayal in Ferdinand’s documentary ended all hope of talks between the two parties.
âIt’s been 10 years now, so seeing the documentary and being made to watch the villain in thereâ¦ it’s done. There’s a line in the sand drawn.
“Anton can have his opinion. My opinion is very clear, I was not guilty in court which is the greatest form of our law in our country. No higher.”
Terry said he sympathized with Ferdinand, saying, “Yeah sure. He had tough times but I had some tough times too.”
Following the publication of Terry’s interview on Saturday, Ferdinand responded to his comments on Twitter, writing: “I never received a call personally from JT before the documentary or during the process.
“As I stated on the document, the door is always open to have a conversation if he is serious about racism in football and wants to create positive change. Call me JT then?”
Sky Sports News has contacted Anton Ferdinand and Agent Jamie Moralee for further comment.
Ferdinand: I was afraid to talk about the Terry case
Anton Ferdinand says he was afraid to speak out during his high-profile racism case against John Terry in 2011.
Ferdinand said his silence was partly because it was what he had been advised, but also because he was afraid of the “ whirlwind ” his comments would cause.
“I didn’t feel like I was the right representation of our community in terms of speaking out and I don’t think I could have done it at the time anyway,” he said. declared. Sky Sports News in 2020.
âI was afraid to speak and I see him now. I was afraid of the whirlwind of what had happened, the abuse on social media, I couldn’t get away from it, it was still there.
âI felt like I just couldn’t speak, not just because it would hurt the trial, which hit me hard at the time.
“I did something that I wish I hadn’t done, which was to leave it in the hands of the authorities and they let me down.”
Hate will not win
Sky Sports is committed to making skysports.com and our channels on social media platforms a place for comment and debate free from abuse, hatred and blasphemy.
For more information, please visit: www.skysports.com/againstonlinehate
If you see a response to Sky Sports messages and / or content with an expression of hate on the basis of the expression of hate on the basis of race, sex, color, gender, nationality, ethnicity, disability, religion, sexuality , age or class, please copy the hater’s URL Post and capture it and email us here.
Kick It Out Signaling Racism
Online Report Form | Kick It Out
Kick It Out is the football for equality and inclusion organization – which works across the football, education and community sectors to fight discrimination, encourage inclusive practices and campaign for change. positive.