Manchester United’s declared target Declan Rice is not for sale this summer, according to Sky Sports News.
Telegraph Northern football correspondent James Ducker reported earlier this month that United would target West Ham midfielder Rice this summer, with new manager Erik ten Hag expected to gain access to a ‘war chest’ of transfer.
Irons manager David Moyes recently claimed the Englishman is worth £150million at the ‘minimum’.
It would be the biggest transfer in Premier League history, breaking the record of £105.75million set by Jack Grealish’s transfer to Manchester City.
Rice is under contract until the summer of 2024, but West Ham above all have the option of extending this agreement for an additional year. He is believed to have turned down three extension offers, one of which was worth around £200,000 a week (via The Guardian).
Live Friday night, presenter Mike Wedderburn relayed an update on Rice.
While West Ham won’t agree to a sale this summer, their stance could change at the end of next season. he said to Sky.
“Our Chief Reporter Kaveh Solhekol spoke to West Ham today. West Ham said this: they will not sell Declan Rice this summer, even if he does not sign a new contract.
“The Hammers would be willing to sell Rice in the summer of 2023 if he doesn’t sign a new contract.”
This presents the Man. United with an interesting dilemma. They can either bide their time for Rice, who will only be 24 at the 2023 window. If he’s their no. 1 target, they can be patient.
Or they may decide they simply need to provide Ten Hag with a marquee midfield addition this summer, especially with Paul Pogba set to leave on a free transfer.
They have been linked with Rice’s England team-mate Kalvin Phillips, who is available for a fee of £60m (according to The I’s Mark Douglas). This cheaper and faster deal might turn out to be more desirable.
In other news, Fabrizio Romano posts a key update regarding Ten Hag.