Notting Hill Carnival – Europe’s biggest street party – has been pulled from the streets for the second year in a row due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
Instead of, the annual event, which normally draws crowds of around two million people during the August public holiday, will again be held online as in 2020.
The move comes after the four-week delay for the easing COVID-19[female[feminine social distancing restrictions on June 21 in England, which the government said were necessary to give people more time to receive coronavirus vaccinations against the rapidly spreading Delta variant, first identified in India.
In a statement, the board of directors of Notting Hill Carnival Ltd said it has decided that this year’s event in London “will not be on the streets due to the uncertainty and risk that COVID- 19 poses “.
“It was an incredibly difficult decision to make,” he added.
“Everyone involved in the event desperately wants a return to the road the carnival belongs to, but safety must come first and with the latest cautious announcement on the government’s roadmap, this is the only way to get it right. to ensure.
“In making this decision, we have taken into account our responsibilities to provide a safe, spectacular, successful and sustainable carnival.
“The conclusion is that with so much uncertainty, with little time for revelers to prepare and the risk of eventual cancellation being a real possibility, we need to refocus our efforts for 2021.”
Mr Phillip, managing director of Notting Hill Carnival Ltd, told MPs earlier this year: “It would be very difficult to organize a carnival in its traditional format on the streets with social distancing in place. It would be devastating for a second year in a row. “
The three-day show of music, dance, food and drink is rooted in Caribbean culture and was also influenced by the Windrush generation.
Right after the Rio Carnival in Brazil, the vibrant North London event aims to promote unity and bring people of all ages together.
Notting Hill has previously hosted Jay-Z, Lil ‘Kim and Busta Rhymes.
Last year, the first virtual event was hosted by radio presenters DJ Ace and Remel London.
Following the announcement of this year’s event, Cllr Emma Will, Senior Member of the Kensington and Chelsea Council for Culture, Recreation and Community Safety, said: again.
“It was not an easy decision to make, but the latest government updates suggest the current risks from COVID-19 are too high to host an in-person celebration this year.
“Health and safety remains a top priority for us and it is important that we take care of the well-being of our residents and visitors. We still plan to celebrate this momentous event with virtual activities that will take place during the carnival holiday weekend.
“We are committed to supporting this celebration and making it as fun, magical and as safe as possible.”