Phil Mickelson set to miss Masters for first time in 28 years | Golf News

The 51-year-old is no longer listed in the group of active players taking part in next month’s Masters; the three-time winner was listed as “former champion not playing” on the tournament website; The Masters begins April 7 at Augusta National Golf Club

Last update: 22/03/22 00:00

Phil Mickelson looks set to miss the Masters for the first time in 28 years

Phil Mickelson is set to miss the Masters for the first time in 28 years after being dropped from the entry list for next month’s tournament.

The three-time winner was listed as a “non-playing former champion” on the tournament website.

Mickelson is currently taking a hiatus from golf following the fallout from his comments about the PGA Tour and a potential Saudi-backed rival tour.

The 51-year-old six-time major winner has not played since the Saudi international tournament in February.

Nick Dougherty and Rich Beem think Phil Mickelson's statement doesn't seem sincere and sounds more like an apology to the Saudis for having to withdraw from the proposed league

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Nick Dougherty and Rich Beem think Phil Mickelson’s statement doesn’t seem sincere and sounds more like an apology to the Saudis for having to withdraw from the proposed league

Nick Dougherty and Rich Beem think Phil Mickelson’s statement doesn’t seem sincere and sounds more like an apology to the Saudis for having to withdraw from the proposed league

Mickelson has competed in Augusta National every year since 1994, having made his Masters debut in 1991, and winning the green jacket in 2004, 2006 and 2010.

Mickelson announced in late February that he was taking a break from golf “to work on being the man I want to be.”

He also apologized for his “reckless” comments about a proposed Saudi-backed separatist league and said he would walk away from the sport.

Earlier in February, an author, Alan Shipnuck, of an upcoming unauthorized biography on Mickelson published excerpts from the book in which the golfer called the Saudis ‘scary’ but said he was ready to watch beyond their human rights records to gain leverage with the PGA. To visit.

The Saudi government has denied accusations of human rights abuses.

Mickelson apologized for the comments, which he said were off the record. The longtime fan favorite has since found himself isolated and has also lost a number of sponsors.

Brooks Koepka says we haven't heard the end of a Saudi-backed golf league proposal and someone will

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Brooks Koepka says we haven’t heard the end of a Saudi-backed golf league proposal and someone is going to ‘sell themselves and go’.

Brooks Koepka says we haven’t heard the end of a Saudi-backed golf league proposal and someone is going to ‘sell themselves and go’.

Norman: ‘Slow process’ of Saudi-backed series | “Open Door for Mickelson”

Greg Norman admits it may take time to attract stars to the new Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series and insists Phil Mickelson will still be welcome to take part in the events.

The former world no. in the professional game.

Norman will send a letter to all of the world’s top 250 inviting them to take part in the events, offering a draft-style team element as well as individual competition, although tournament organizers are currently unsure who will feature in the series. inaugural.

Phil Mickelson hasn’t played since apologizing last month for his “reckless” comments regarding the Saudi-backed separatist league plan, where he accused the PGA Tour of “abhorrent greed” and to act as a “dictatorship”.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said it was Phil Mickelson's turn to phone him to discuss his controversial comments on the tour that led to the reigning PGA Championship winner walking away from the game.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said it was Phil Mickelson’s turn to phone him to discuss his controversial comments on the tour that led to the reigning PGA Championship winner walking away from the game.

PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said it was Phil Mickelson’s turn to phone him to discuss his controversial comments on the tour that led to the reigning PGA Championship winner walking away from the game.

Mickelson describing the Saudi government as creepy ‘moms’ and only using the new tour as leverage to get more PGA Tour money, although Norman would still be happy to see six-time champion major – or any player – place him in his tournaments.

“We’re not saying you have to play here and play there, we just give them [players] opportunities to choose where to play,” Norman said.

“If they want to play then the door is wide open and the door is wide open for Phil Mickelson as well. I spoke to him last night and had a good, long talk. There’s no one on this planet who didn’t say something they wish they could take back.

“You have to be able to allow individuals and players to have a choice and we will give them the choice to do that. If they don’t want to come, so be it. I’m not stopping them and I don’t say they’ll be banned for life if you don’t, it’s their choice.”

About Hannah Schaeffer

Check Also

Wagatha Christie trial: Coleen Rooney admits Rebekah Vardy trolling after infamous message was ‘disgusting’ | Soccer News

Coleen Rooney has admitted to trolling Rebekah Vardy after her ‘Wagatha Christie’ post was ‘disgusting’. …