Ricky Gervais said he was “shocked” and “appalled” after learning of historic allegations of sexual misconduct against After Life producer Charlie Hanson.
According to the Times, Hanson was accused of misconduct by 11 women, the allegations running from 2008 to 2015.
He “firmly refutes” the allegations made against him.
Ricky gervais, who wrote, directs and stars in the Netflix Smash After Life said in a statement: “I am shocked and dismayed to learn of the historic allegations made by a number of women against Charlie Hanson.
“The decision has been taken to immediately withdraw it from production and I have no doubts that the matter is being handled thoroughly.”
Hanson, who also worked on other projects with Gervais such as Derek and Extras, was removed from his role on the hit Netflix show and suspended by BAFTA as a result of what he calls “a number of very serious and detailed allegations”.
A statement from Netflix said, “On Monday we received an anonymous email containing historical allegations about a producer on one of our titles.
“Although the allegations are unrelated to his time on the show, we immediately took him out of production and referred the matter to the police.”
BAFTA added, “We were presented with a number of very serious and detailed allegations about an individual and although we are not their employer, we immediately made the decision to suspend their membership.
Subscribe to the Backstage podcast on Apple podcasts, Google podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker
“The BAFTA is an arts charity and does not have the authority to investigate allegations of historical abuse, which is why we referred the matter to the police.
“The behavior these accounts allege is heinous, in total opposition to BAFTA values and has no place in our industry.”
Hanson responded to the allegations, and said many of them are “patently false,” adding that he had no complaints during his time in the industry.
“I categorically reject any wrongdoing on my part and firmly refute the allegations made to me,” he said.
“I have worked with and supported hundreds of men and women in my professional life and will do whatever is necessary to protect and / or restore my reputation. I will also cooperate with all official investigations.”
It comes weeks after actor and producer Noel Clarke was suspended by BAFTA after more than 20 allegations sexual misconduct and intimidation were done against him – claims Clarke “vehemently denies”.
Hanson, a staunch supporter of MeToo, had previously criticized BAFTA for its response to Noel Clarke’s allegations, saying he should have done more when first made aware of the allegations.